Today I came across a great quote from the book that I’m currently reading.
The author refers to B.C.Forbes, the founder of Forbes magazine. The following is the quote:
Your success depends on you.
Your happiness depends on you.
You have to steer your own course.
You have to shape your own fortune.
What I get from this quote is that, at the end of the day, you will be the one deciding your own success or failure. There is no one else to blame. There are only excuses to cover yourself up. So, get up, take action, and show the world what you are made of!
111. Corn farm
- Why: The government has minimized the import quota for corn in 2017. As the result, the high local demand is not yet met. And I believe that this condition will continue for 3 to 5 years to come. This is because, the local consumption for corn is high and we don’t have enough supply yet to cover everything. This means that there’s a demand that’s not met in the market.
112. Soya bean farm
- Why: The same with corn, the soya bean market has been a big market for importers. Even though we know that we consume a lot of tahu and tempe, most of the raw materials actually come from different countries. The government is well aware of this and sooner or later, they will try to grow the local production. And that’s where you come in to build a more efficient farms to support the nation’s consumption.
113. Sharing profit with farmers
- Why: I have been thinking a lot lately about ways to split profit with farmers. It’s a shame that our country, that is blessed with so much natural resources, still has to import a lot of harvest. Optimizing this area and make farming cool again is a huge business opportunity.
114. Exporting clove (cengkeh)
- Why: Indonesia’s clove was known as one of the best clove in the world. Nowadays, this title is rarely been heard. One reason is because, we seldom have surplus in clove production due to high demand from the cigarette companies. However, this dependency create a strong correlation between clove pricing and the cigarette industry. As we know, in 2016 the cigarette companies are slowing down, which caused clove pricing to drop to almost half of it’s original pricing. So, why not break this dependency by trying to sell the underpriced clove overseas. The demand may still be high out there and they might be willing to offer better price compared to locally.
115. E-commerce website for crops
- Why: Most of the time local farmers sell their crops to some middleman, which then sell it to other companies or distributors. But, in order to maximize the farmers profit, they can choose to auction the harvest to several customers. Therefore, this ensures the farmers get the best pricing in the market. This could work very well for crops that have limited supply, such as corn, soya beans, chili, etc.
116. System for farming technology
- Why: Another option to help optimizing our nation’s growing farming culture, is to help improving the agriculture system. Whether it’s to help making a more efficient crops growing process or maximizing the harvest. Selling or creating this farming system is still a big opportunity to capitalize.
117. New / advance plantation method
- Why: Forget about the traditional way. There must be the new ways to grow crops more efficiently to get more results. Sharing and selling this new methods of farming can actually make you a fortune.
118. Warehousing / Storage room
- Why: Storing harvest before selling it can be a challenge. Different crops need different treatment. So, outsourcing this can eliminate the challenge that the farmers/business may face. This will also be great if it’s coupled with insurance that help to put the people who store the harvest, feel safe.
119. Farming insurance
- Why: The weather is hard to predict and it plays a significant role in deciding whether the harvest is going to be a successful one. As the result, selling an insurance for this process can create a big impact for the farmers and at the same time, you are helping the farmers’ lives.
120. Educational website for farming
- Why: I have not completed a thorough research on this but there is no website that actually explains the process of planting, maintaining and harvesting all type of crops. It will be great if there’s a “wikipedia” for all these crops. It helps to inspire and educate people who are interested in agricultural industry.
As you may have noticed, I am not an expert in the agriculture industry. But, those are my ideas that you could do more research on and justify whether you can actually build a profitable business out of it.
Feel free to discuss more about this on the comment section. Or if you have better insights than I do and you would like to share it. Please do so at the comment section.